Workspace grid (2D) and switcher
2D workspace grid and switcher for the Cinnamon Desktop Environment
Author: Jason J. Herne (firstname.lastname@example.org)
This is a Cinnamon applet that implements a 2D workspace grid and provides a
workspace switcher that understands multiple rows. In addition, the standard
keyboard shortcuts for workspace up/down navigation are modified to actually
switch workspaces instead of bringing up the Cinnamon Workspace Expo and
This applet has been tested to be compatible with the following Linux distributions and versions of Cinnamon:
- Linux Mint 13 - Cinnamon 1.4.0
- Ubuntu 12.04 - Cinnamon 1.6.7
- Ubuntu 12.10 - Cinnamon 1.6.7
- Ubuntu 13.04 - Cinnamon 1.6.7 & 1.8.2
- Fedora 17 - Cinnamon 1.6.7
- Fedora 18 - Cinnamon 1.6.7
Feel free to test with different versions and let me know if it works or not. Also, if you find a bug (or have a suggestion) please report it either at http://github.com/hernejj/workspace-grid-cinnamon-applet or send me an e-mail.
1. Place the "workspace-grid@hernejj" folder in the
".local/share/cinnamon/applets" folder in your home directory.
2. Start the "Cinnamon Settings" program, go to the Applets section and look
for the entry named "Workspace grid (2D) and switcher". Check the checkbox
to the left of this entry to enable this applet.
Setting the Number of Workspaces
This applet allows you to configure the number or rows and columns in your
workspace grid. Just right click on the applet and a dialog will appear.
Enter the number of columns and rows you want and press the enter key.
You can navigate between your workspaces using the standard system keyboard
shortcuts. By default they are as listed:
- switch-to-workspace-up Ctrl+Alt+Up_Arrow
- switch-to-workspace-down Ctrl+Alt+Down_Arrow
- switch-to-workspace-left Ctrl+Alt+Left_Arrow
- switch-to-workspace-right Ctrl+Alt+Right_Arrow
You can also click on the workspace or the row indicator lines within the
switcher to navigate directly to a specific workspace or row.
You can also place your mouse over the switcher and use the scroll wheel to
navigate forward and backward in the workspace grid.
- Bugfix: Removed css junk that was messing up bottom panel style.
- Bugfix: Allow applet to properly resize with bottom panel.
- Added key binding support for Linux Mint 13 & Cinnamon 1.4.0.
- Added some debug logging to assist with future incompatibility problems.
- Initial release.