Workspace grid (2D) and switcher
2D workspace grid and switcher for the Cinnamon Desktop Environment
Author: Jason J. Herne (email@example.com)
This is a Cinnamon applet that implements a 2D workspace grid and provides a
workspace switcher that understands multiple rows. In addition, the standard
keyboard shortcuts for workspace up/down navigation are modified to actually
switch workspaces instead of bringing up the Cinnamon Workspace Expo and
This applet has been tested to be compatible with the following Linux distributions and versions of Cinnamon:
- Linux Mint 17 - Cinnamon 2.2
- Linux Mint 16 - Cinnamon 2.0
Feel free to test with different versions and let me know if it works or not. Also, if you find a bug (or have a suggestion) please report it either at http://github.com/hernejj/workspace-grid-cinnamon-applet or send me an e-mail: hernejj AT gmail.
1. Place the "workspace-grid@hernejj" folder in the
".local/share/cinnamon/applets" folder in your home directory.
2. Start the "Cinnamon Settings" program, go to the Applets section and look
for the entry named "Workspace grid (2D) and switcher". Check the checkbox
to the right of this entry to enable this applet.
Setting the Number of Workspaces
This applet allows you to configure the number or rows and columns in your
workspace grid. Just right click on the applet and choose "Configure..."
and a dialog will appear. Enter the number of columns and rows you want and
click the close button.
You can navigate between your workspaces using the standard system keyboard
shortcuts. By default they are as listed:
- switch-to-workspace-up Ctrl+Alt+Up_Arrow
- switch-to-workspace-down Ctrl+Alt+Down_Arrow
- switch-to-workspace-left Ctrl+Alt+Left_Arrow
- switch-to-workspace-right Ctrl+Alt+Right_Arrow
You can also click on the workspace or the row indicator lines within the
switcher to navigate directly to a specific workspace or row.
You can also place your mouse over the switcher and use the scroll wheel to
navigate forward and backward in the workspace grid.
By default, this applet conflicts with and disables the Expo and Scale keyboard
shortcuts. There is a setting in the settings dialog to disable this behavior.
- Added support for Cinnamon Settings API.
- Added option to keep original scale/expo keyboard shortcuts
- Removed hackish "configuration icon".
- Removed old style key binding registration. Breaks on very old distros.
- compat: Remove right-click to configure for Cinnamon 2.2 compatability
- Compat: Add configuration via left-click on new icon.
- Don't override theme style for better theme integration.
- Workaround for "theme change makes row indicator disappear" bug.
- Bugfix: Removed css junk that was messing up bottom panel style.
- Bugfix: Allow applet to properly resize with bottom panel.
- Added key binding support for Linux Mint 13 & Cinnamon 1.4.0.
- Added some debug logging to assist with future incompatibility problems.
- Initial release.