NOTE: IF YOU'RE UPGRADING TO v2.0, YOU NEED TO DELETE THE FILE:
AS THE FORMAT HAS CHANGED. I APOLIGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE
This is a Cinnamon applet, which adds a Web Search box to your Cinnamon bar.
Left-clicking the item will open a search box where you can enter your criteria.
You can right-click the applet to gain access to settings - switch providers, hide or show the provider name in the panel, or directly edit the config file to add your own provider.
1) Unzip, copy the folder "search-box@mtwebster" to "~/.local/share/cinnamon/applets/".
2) Enable the applet in cinnamon settings.
If you change providers, you'll have to restart Cinnamon
- 1.01 - Set key focus to search box as soon as applet is clicked. Remove some old code
- 1.1 - Change icon to symbolic, add switch in provider.conf to hide or show icon label (provider name)
- 1.2 - Use xdg-open to launch browser and provider.conf editor so things work more properly across Linux flavors.
- 1.3 - Back to using sensible-browser. Added provider.conf reload button. Added launcher for MATE default applications - this lets you set sensible-browser correctly. Should work in Ubuntu mint and debian mint.
- 1.31 - Back to xdg-open, removed default app launcher - need to find a better, more reliable way to do this. Sorry!
- 1.32 - Added gnome-control-center for default app picker, seems to be reliable across Mint 12 and Mint Debian
- 1.4 - changed how applet directory is located, so applet works whether in .local or /usr folders
1.5 - implemented settings provider, now automatically detects changes in settings, updates applet. Also, applet settings are stored in ~
- 2.0 - implemented settings UI - you now change settings directly in the applet, from the context menu. For now, you still add your own providers via the providers.conf file in ~/.cinnamon/search-box@mtwebster/.