Cinnamon Spices are Applets, Desklets, Extensions and Themes.
You usually check updates for the Spices using Cinnamon Settings. But, like me, you do it too seldom.
The Spices Update applet plays these roles:
- It warns you when the Spices you have installed need updates.
- Optional: It can also warn you when new Spices are available.
- It gives you direct access to Cinnamon Settings for Applets, Desklets, Extensions and Themes.
Fully supported by the author, under continuing development and in continuous use on several machines, running with Linux Mint, Fedora or Archlinux.
The Spices Update requires the tool
To install it:
sudo dnf install libnotify
sudo pacman -Syu libnotify
- Linux Mint:
sudo apt install libnotify-bin
This applet helps you to install this dependency, if any.
There are five tabs in settings.
The first, General, allows you to:
- Select the Time interval between two checks (in hours). Please note that the first check will take place one minute after starting this applet.
- Select the ways to warn you : changing the appearance (by color changing) of the icon of this applet and/or displaying messages in the notification zone.
- Select the Type of display of the icon: with or without text?
For the content of the other tabs (Applets, Desklets, etc), please look at the screenshot above and note that the list of installed Spices is automatically filled at startup, but a button allows you to reload it.
Set to FALSE all the Spices you do not want to check updates. There are two reasons to do this:
- A spice is OK for you, and you do not want to be notified of any changes to it.
- You are a developer working on a spice and you do not want to be informed about changes during development.
In the menu of this applet:
- a Refresh button allows you to force checking the availability of updates for your Spices;
- a dot appears in front of each type of Spice when at least one update is available;
- a click on a type of Spice (Applets, Desklets, etc) opens the corresponding page in Cinnamon Settings;
- when new Spices are available, an option Forget new Spices appears; clicking it will clear these notifications of new spices, until others arrive;
- a Configure... button opens the Settings.
The color of the icon changes when at least one of your Spices needs an update.
Its tooltip (the message displayed when the icon is hovered) contains the list of spices to update, if any.
Any translation is welcome. Thank you for contributing to translate the applet's messages into new languages, or to improve or supplement existing translations.
Use the Applets menu in Cinnamon Settings, or Add Applets to Panel in the context menu (right-click) of your desktop panel. Then go on the Download tab to install this Spices Update applet.
- Install the additional programs required.
- Download the Spices Update from the Spices Web Site.
- Unzip and extract the folder
- Enable this applet in System Settings -> Applets.
- You can also access the Settings Screen from System Settings -> Applets, or from the context menu of this applet (right-clicking on its icon).
A Star to thank the author
If you like this Spices Update applet, please do not offer money or coffee, but log in and click on the Star at the top of this page.
- New feature (requested by @sphh in Forget new spices #2210): Make support for new Spices Applet, Desklet, Extension and Theme specific.
- New feature (requested by @sphh in Forget new spices #2213): When new Spices are available, an option Forget new Spices appears in the menu of this applet. Clicking it will clear these notifications of new spices, until others arrive.
- Available languages: English, French, Spanish, Croatian, German, Italian.
- New feature (requested by @sphh in #2202): This applet can also warn the user when new Spices are available. (New option in general settings.)
- Minor bug fixes.
- New icons. Back to the original color: #eb9122.
- The tooltip now contains the list of Spices to update.
- Fixes undeclared variable error.
- New icons.
- Detects the default symbolic-icon color from the current theme.
- Change the default color of the icon when spices need updates. This does not affect the choice made by the user.
- Available languages: English, French, Spanish, Croatian, German.
- Configure button added in menu, to open the settings.
- Refresh button added in the settings, on each spice panel (applets, desklets ...) to force the refresh of the list.
- Improved list refresh.
- Make this applet icon resizable. (Fixes #2180)
- Available languages: English, French, Spanish, Croatian.
- Better management of notification messages.
- A new option allows the user to choose whether identical messages are displayed or not.
- SpicesUpdate@claudiux.pot updated.
- Available languages: English, French, Spanish.
- Fully functional.
- Tested on Cinnamon 4.0.8 (Linux Mint 19.1 & Antergos (Arch) Linux).
- Tested on Cinnamon 3.8.9 (Fedora 27).
- Available languages: English, French.